2.05.2009

I like books

My favorite quote from a book that I can think of at the moment is from High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. You might've seen the movie adaptation. Here it is.

"Sometimes I got so bored of trying to touch her breasts that I would try to touch her between her legs, a gesture that had a sort of self-parodying wit about it; it was like trying to borrow a fiver, getting turned down, and asking to borrow fifty quid instead."
_______________________

I am always looking for a new good book to read. I often find a good one through the recommendation of a friend. Perchance, my faithful reader, you are looking for a new good book to read as well, so I thought I'd share some of my favorites by genre.

Comedy - Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore - This book is hilarious. Laugh-out-loud funny. It chronicles the life of Jesus throughout his childhood. Unless you are some fanatical right-wing Falwellian, you'd probably enjoy it.

Also - Missing Links + Shanks for Nothing. Two golf books by Rick Reilly that are just as funny. Not for everyone.

Science Fiction - Two here. I like Dune by Frank Herbert and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card. Both good books but not everyone enjoys science fiction.

Non-Fiction - This is tough because I don't read a lot of non-fiction. I just finished a biography of Crazy Horse that was good, and if you are interested in that kind of thing, you would most likely enjoy it. David McCullough, the man from earlier posts, also writes some good history.

Girl Book - She's Come Undone, by Wally Lamb. This book amazes me because Mr. Lamb has an unreal talent for writing through the eyes of a woman. I know I couldn't do it.

Fantasy - Chances are, if there is a dragon on the cover, I've read the book. So it makes the category difficult because there are so many to choose from. Lord of the Rings I would always recommend. George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire is very good. And I just finished a book called In the Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, that was probably one of the best books I've read ever. Even if you don't think you like fantasy, I would still recommend that one.

Regular Ol' Fiction - I can't pick just one. I like Nick Hornby. A book called the Power of One by Bryce Courtenay. For Whom the Bell Tolls is a classic, the John Donne poem at the beginning made the book for me. Too many others to think of.

Travel - Read Bill Bryson. In a Sunburned Country is my favorite, but all of his stuff is good.

I would have to say my favorite book is A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole. It makes me laugh more than those comedies I mentioned, but it is also very sad, especially the story behind it all. If you've never read it, I would pick it up before any of the others. You might have to give it a chance, it starts out rather slow. Looking at some reviews, it seems like a lot of people hate it. Oh well.

Do you have any suggestions? I am reading this stupid Twilight series and it makes me want to throw up and crap my pants at the same time.

How about you, dear reader, comment with a book recommendation.

1 comment: