2.18.2009

My 5 favorite rap albums.

I am not in the habit of listening to a lot of the newer rap/hip-hop these days. With the likes of Lil' Wayne topping the charts, I am just not that interested. What happened to the days where artists actually had some semblance of talent. Where cohesive thoughts were formed, with clever word play and the like.
yada, yada, without further ado, top 5.

5. Fugees - The Score - Man, what a great album. I think I got this in middle school. I loved it then and could put it on today and still enjoy it. "Ready or Not" = good song.
























4. A Tribe Called Quest - The Love Movement - I had listened to some tribe in high school, but I didn't really get into this album until university. It has great tracks one after another. I would ride around in the car with some fellas and listen to track 7 on replay (4 Moms) and freestyle to the beat. You have probably never seen such an embarrassing display of whiteness in your life.



















3. Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001 - I don't feel compelled to put this on here just to say that there is a Dr. Dre on the list. This album is just that good. He is smart, articulate, and talented. I sometimes wish there wasn't any eminem on it, but oh well. Track 17 is a hidden gem and easily my favorite song on the album.


















2. The Roots - The Tipping Point - It was a close one between this and number 1. It could have gone either way. The Roots have many a good album, but this is my favorite. "Web" is a pretty amazing song.


















1. Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die - Yeah, I don't think I need to say much about this. Probably the best rap album of all time. So good. I might even like this as an old man.
























Honorable Mentions would be:

Gang Starr - Daily Operation
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Louis Logic - Misery loves Comedy

1 comment:

  1. No love for the PE? Nation of Millions is my favorite "old-school" rap album.

    ReplyDelete